CFMU started out as McMaster Radio in 1963 and was run by the BSB (Board of Student Broadcasting.) The studios were in the basement of Wentworth House and as Bruce Beghamer ’67 recalls, ’We originally piped broadcasting to the residences. It was quite the adventure back then. We had a very small budget from the MSU, but we had huge heart and enthusiasm from our radio members.’
In January 1978, CFMU began to broadcast to Hamilton and the surrounding community on the FM band. Since then, we have been voice of the campus and the community, a breeding ground for new talent, and a vital medium for relating ideas, news and views. CFMU 93.3 is “Redefining Radio In Your Community.” We use that phrase because it re-enforces our broad relevance and reflects a revitalized commitment to our mandate. We are a public meeting place for many voiceless dimensions in our society - local cutting-edge artists and musicians, marginalized groups, multicultural families, and people with a keen social conscience. Our broadcasts stand independent of corporations, sponsors, advertisers, and political agendas. CFMU is comfortable with risky subjects that need attention - leadership in today’s issues and tomorrow’s art is our job. CFMU is listener-supported radio - supported by those who recognize that diversity and local programming are more crucial than ever. Yet we are more; we are also supported by those who utilize us and their community voice. Without the support of the community we serve, we will not be able to provide that community with a voice, truly the only open and independent voice in the city. A stronger CFMU is a stronger voice for all of us.
93.3 CFMU-FM, Canada’s third oldest campus / community radio station, has been redefining radio for over 25 years, delivering daily the most enlightening, innovative and entertaining programming in our broadcast area.
(905) 525-9140 ext. 27631
Our 160-watt signal blankets the entire Hamilton-Wentworth region and beyond. You can rely on CFMU to keep you up to date and informed on issues affecting the McMaster campus, region, province, nation and the world. CFMU won the distinction of Station of the Year at the 2010 Hamilton Music Scene Awards. Our spoken word programming covers a wide range of topics such as: news and information, current affairs, live sports, arts & entertainment and much more!
- Before or at the time of collecting personal information, we will identify the purposes for which information is being collected.
- We will collect and use of personal information solely with the objective of fulfilling those purposes specified by us and for other compatible purposes, unless we obtain the consent of the individual concerned or as required by law.
- We will only retain personal information as long as necessary for the fulfillment of those purposes.
- We will collect personal information by lawful and fair means and, where appropriate, with the knowledge or consent of the individual concerned.
- Personal data should be relevant to the purposes for which it is to be used, and, to the extent necessary for those purposes, should be accurate, complete, and up-to-date.
- We will protect personal information by reasonable security safeguards against loss or theft, as well as unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use or modification.
- We will make readily available to customers information about our policies and practices relating to the management of personal information.
We are committed to conducting our business in accordance with these principles in order to ensure that the confidentiality of personal information is protected and maintained.